Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Drawstring for the Uterus

Before returning to the story, I have an announcement.

I've been honored by RESOLVE.  They have asked me to do a Father's Day Twitterview with Executive Director Barbara Collura.  The Twitterview will cover a range of topics.  Anyone is welcome to view, and we hope that Wannabe Moms and Dads both will join us.  Comments and questions are welcomed as well.

The Twitterview will take place Friday, June 17th @ 2pm Eastern time.

You can follow the hash-tag #tvFD (representing Twitterview for Father’s Day) at this link: http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23tvFD.  Also, RESOLVE will post the full transcript on MyDestinationFamily.org later that day when the Twitterview is over.  Also, if you go to the RESOLVE.org page you can watch the dialogue between me and RESOLVE that way, as RESOLVE will re-tweets the discussion.

Please spread the word!

*          *          *

Dr. B left the room while JK and I sat stunned and scared.  We knew that Dr. B feared for us and for the babies.  Next thing we knew, a nurse was asking JK when she last ate.

Surgery was in the works again.  And thus, for the fourth and scariest time to date, JK would go under the knife.  Now, we had more to lose.  Even if she emerged from surgery unscathed, the twins might not.

A cerclage would be needed to close the cervix and keep it closed.  It looks and works a little like a drawstring, as it happens.

Dr. F would perform the surgery.  She did the CVS, you may recall and was guaranteed to close JK's cervix up tighter than a drum... if the twins survived the procedure.

Prentice was only two buildings away from Dr. B's office, so we walked over and JK was quickly prepped.  My doubts and fears mounted when the first resident-in-assistance entered and explained that the procedure could end the pregnancy.  If JK's water broke as a result of the surgery, the twins, only 22 weeks along, had no chance.  If I was fearful before, I was at this point, screaming inside.

I called my mother asking her to check on Luke, knowing that we would not be home for quite a while.  She took my car and house keys in the lobby of Prentice while we spoke in hushed tones.  Later, she said that the sound of my voice and look on my face scared the crap out of her.

Dr. F showed up, and for the first time, the waters calmed slightly.  She told us that the cervix was still three centimeters long and that there would be plenty of room for her to work without risking the babies.  Her usual demeanor was so business-like, that optimism from her seemed very real.  For the first time since Dr. B's office, JK and I exhaled.

Soon JK went in, and the surgery went as Dr. F promised.  By nighttime, I was able to take her home.

However, she would be limited in many ways following the procedure.  To keep the babies inside, concessions would be made.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through the Resolve email that is sent out. I don't have time to read all of it right now, but I am glad they caught JK's cervix in time!
    I got a cerclage at 24w4d due to funneling, and a cervical length of 0.6cm!!!! It was caught during an ultrasound to "just check one more time how everything is going". We are beyond blessed since most doctors won't do it past 24weeks.

    I got you added to my google reader and will try and keep up with your journey.
    I wish you all the best during this pregnancy, and kudos to you for being so supportive during her dietary trials!!

    ReplyDelete